The Medd House Museum- A Winnipegosis Landmark

The Medd House is one of the last few grand wooden homes in Winnipegosis built at the inception of our village still standing in good repair. Built in 1900 for George Bellamy, it was purchased by Dr. Medd in 1914 when he married Agnes McArthur. This home served as residence for the Medd family and as the Doctor’s office and the first “hospital” as operations were performed on his dining room table and /or kitchen table until 1927.

The wooden building itself has much to offer as a lesson in history as few changes have been made in the last 100 years with the exception of the conversion of one room into a bathroom with running water and electricity added as soon as it was available. The doctor’s office was added to the west side in 1927 which added more space upstairs. Dr. Medd by his own calculations delivered over 1300 babies in this area before his death in 1946!

The house has been primarily owned by the doctor and his family. His widow lived there until the 1970’s and then the family kept it as a summer residence. The family has donated this house to the village for the use of the museum with a number of the original furnishings and personal artifacts.

On the main floor the Medd house has a kitchen, pantry, dining room, parlour, foyer, closed in veranda, and the doctor’s office. The second floor has four bedrooms, bathroom, closets and a large landing or sunroom. There is a cellar and a small unattached garage. The garden area still has raspberry bushes, pin cherry bushes, gooseberry bushes and an apple tree as well as rhubarb plants and some herbs. There is a well sized lawn that has been kept trimmed and there are beautiful old shade trees on the lawn area. A cement sidewalk leads from the road to the veranda and kitchen door.

The displays downstairs reflect the lifestyle of Dr. Medd and his family in the c1930’s. The family has left much of the original furnishings for these rooms. The doctor’s office has been set up as authentically as possible to reflect the history and work of Dr. Medd.

The second floor master bedroom reflects the Medds life style c 1930's and contained furniture, clothing and personal artifacts. The bedrooms have displays that display the history of our area. One room is a tribute to our Aboriginal people who are the true founders of our community and with whom Dr. Medd had a close relationship as he did much of his work in the nearby reserves. Another room is a tribute to the many young women and men who answered the call to serve Canada during the wars. The last bedroom reflects the pioneer efforts to make life fun and bring beauty (handwork) into a harsh environment. One area on the landing has been set up as a tribute to Edna Medd and another to Agnes Medd.

Medd House is open for tours from May 26th to September 26th, 2015
Admission is $5.00 (Children under 12 "Free Admission)
If you are interested in arranging student or senior tours please contact us by email.

For information call:
Jo at 656-4318, or
Pauline at 656-4273